Monday, July 5, 2010

Can Writing Be Taught?

I am sure it can on some level. I would hope that creative writing programs at universities around the world are at least somewhat successful. Certainly, the Clarion Workshop has produced many published writers.

But for writers like me who are unable to pursue a creative writing education or too inexperienced to qualify for groups like Clarion, where should we turn? Are books on writing valuable?

I would argue that some books surely are. For example, The Elements of Style is great. Short, too the point, and surprisingly entertaining if you are a grammar nerd like me (and I would wager that any writer needs to be something of a grammar nerd--if only to prevent a potential editor from rejecting a story due to an impression of lazy writing). Other books, like On Writing, have great tips such as be ruthless about eliminating adverbs. But at what point should I stop reading about writing and actually write? When do I know enough about character development, plot structure, or world creation? If I write, submit, and then receive form letter rejection letters, how will I learn what I did wrong and what I did right?

Maybe it is like doing legal research. At some point I will need to make a decision about diminishing returns and decide enough research is enough. When I start finding the same things again and again, I know it is time to stop. Maybe that is how I will know when it is time to stop reading. But that seems like a lot of reading and very little writing. Maybe just a few rules are enough to get me going, earning experience a page at a time.

So, until I think of a better plan, I will try both reading and writing. I am currently reading Storyteller, Creating Short Fiction, and How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy. I have also started a notebook for capturing ideas for short stories and maybe even a novel. Next step: look for a writers group that will welcome an amateur interested in science fiction and fantasy?

I will keep you posted. Until next time, I will leave you with this bit of advice for newbie writers:


(Image originally posted here, and the always wonderful Neil Gaiman's blog can be found here and followed on Twitter here)

No comments:

Post a Comment