Saturday, July 3, 2010

Getting to know me

I am a lawyer, and like many lawyers, I have wanted to be a writer for years. And here I am, thirty years old, and still not a writer. So I started this blog to chronicle my steps from “I want to be a writer,” to “I am writing,” to (hopefully) “I am a published writer.”

Oh sure, law school will teach you how to organize your thoughts, choose your words carefully, and make an argument. I have learned to write like a lawyer, edit for an audience of lawyers, and I have even been published in a legal journal. But I think we have all seen many examples of legalese that makes your eyes glaze over and your attention wither. Law school may teach you how to write well, but it does not teach you to be a storyteller.

So when I say that I want to be a writer, what I really mean is that I want to be a storyteller. I want to engage readers, fire their imaginations, and make them wonder what happens next. And there is only one way to make that happen: write, edit, and write some more. So here I begin.

I am sure this will be a long journey, but so long as I am writing, learning, and growing, then I will be happy. I will post my thoughts, my lessons, my successes, and my failures. I hope you will enjoy the journey as much as I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment