Sunday, July 11, 2010

Learning to Write & Writing Groups, cont'd

First, a quote from Kate Wilhelm's Storyteller:

"You can't learn how to write a novel by reading a how-to book or two or attending a novel-writing class. The only way to learn to write anything is by writing, including novels" (p. 156).

I think that is largely true. However, I want to pick up a bit more of the mechanics of writing (particularly short stories) before I finish reading. That being said, I get the point, and will start working on fleshing out a few ideas while I read.

Second, I found a writing group that meets right in my neighborhood. Even better, it looks well attended, offering a number of different activities such as critiquing members' writing and informing them of upcoming contests. The downside? It may be too popular--meet ups fill up very quickly (according to the group's calendar, just about every meet up has a waiting list of attendees). I need to get in touch with the group and find out more details. But I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment